News & Upcoming Talks / Presentations
• Mar 7th, 2019 - Liz chat about how positive emotions can help people cope with chronic illness in an interview with WGN radio.
• Mar 7th, 2019 - Judy and Ian's op-ed on the Marie Kondo effect on our psychological well-being is featured in Medium’s Lifestyle and Psychology sections
• June 23rd, 2018 - Judy's latest op-ed in The Hill highlights finding positivity in the constant barrage of negative news from the border crisis.
• May 22nd, 2018 - Meet Sarah Bassett, PhD candidate in the PPHIG lab with this Northwestern University spotlight!
• May 2nd, 2018 - In an op-ed for Undark, Judy talks about the distinction between using positive psychology and unrelenting (and unhelpful) positivity.
• Apr 19th, 2018 - Judy's op-ed in The Hill goes over the pluses and minuses of using health devices to track health and behavior.
• Mar 30th, 2018 - On Morning Consult, Judy talks about physician burnout and how mindfulness and other skills can help keep it at bay.
• Mar 19th, 2018 - Judy has an op-ed in The Hill about the importance of being able to be angry in addition to having positive emotions.
• Feb 28th, 2018 - Judy talks about 8 positive emotion skills and making them habitual on Chicago Health.
• Jan 22nd, 2018 - Judy was on WGN Radio recently to talk about the real results of positive thinking. She comes in at the top of the second hour.
• Jan 4th, 2018 - Happy New Year! Judy weighs in at Scientific American on the potential for good feelings and chronic pain to coexist, and what that means for us.
• Dec 8th, 2017 - Judy wrote about the role of positive emotion skills in stress management for Northwestern Magazine and Thrive Global. Read her take on how positive emotions can be experienced even during times of stress and uncertainty, and how they can be used to help cope.
• Aug 18th, 2017 - Thank you to Ruichen, Veronika, and Anthony for sharing their summer with us as Osher Center for Integrative Medicine (OCIM) Interns this year! They've made a big contribution to our projects and we wish them good luck as they return to school.
• Apr 20th, 2017 - In a radio interview with WBEZ 91.5, Judy shares more about the positive affect skills featured in her research. Hear the interview here.
• Apr 17th, 2017 - Judy speaks about her research on individuals with HIV in the NorthwesternU Podcasts. Hear her thoughts on how positive affect can help people cope with chronic illness.
• Apr 14th, 2017 - Two of our team members have been accepted to clinical psychology doctoral programs! Stephanie Schuette is headed to Duke University, and Ian Kwok will be at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
• Mar 27th, 2017 - Judy's research is featured The New York Times! Read about how a positive outlook may be good for your health here.
• Sep 2nd, 2016 - A big thank you to Priya, Honore, Sam & Michaela for sharing their summer with us as interns at the PHHIG lab! We are grateful for their contributions toward our ongoing research projects, and we wish them all the best as they pursue their individual research interests!
• Jul 20th, 2016 - We've made it through to the semi-finals of Apple's Mood Challenge! Dr. Judith Moskowitz's collaborative project with Dr. Stephen Schueller, Mood Circle, combines passive data-tracking with social networking functionality to explore the interaction between mood and social networks. Find out more about this collaboration here.
• July 18-21, 2019 - Judy, Elaine, Liz, and Sarah will be heading down under to present at the World Congress on Positive Psychology in Melbourne, Australia! Judy will be chairing a symposium titled “Emotion Measurement in Positive Psychology Interventions: Implications for Determination of Effect", ID: 57195. Elaine will be presenting in the symposium on "Event-linked Positive Emotion Measures are More Responsive to Positive Psychological Intervention in People Newly Diagnosed with HIV", ID: 57603. Liz will be presenting in another symposium on “"Examining the differential effects of a positive psychological intervention (MARIGOLD) on hedonic and eudaimonic wellbeing", ID: 57602. Sarah will be doing a roundtable presentation on "What does self-esteem have to do with behavioral health among low-income youth in Chicago?", ID: 58480.
Past Talks / Presentations
• Oct 17-20, 2018 - Judy, Liz, and Elaine were invited guests at the Spanish Positive Psychology Association Conference in Madrid, Spain. They conducted a half-day workshop on “17 Positive Affect Skills for Improving Psychological and Physical Health in the Context of Serious Life Stress”. Judy also lead the plenary session.
• Jul 13-16, 2017 - Judy was an invited speaker at the International Positive Psychology Association (IPPA) - 5th World Congress in Montreal. Check out her talk here or click on the video at the bottom of this page.
• Jun 13, 2017 - Judy will be a guest speaker for the Michael Ratner Memorial Lecture Series. Join her as she talks about how people can stay positive in the midst of stressful circumstances. More information here.
• Jan 19-21, 2017 - Sarah Basset and Dr. Elaine Cheung will be conducting poster presentations at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP) conference in San Antonio.